So, yeah. It’s been a while since I fired up a new entry. Work’s been killer and truth be told, my candy making adventures paused somewhat as well. I have plans afoot to put together packages of candies for friends and family this year for the holidays – nefarious plans – but in the mean time there’s a wee bit of backlog I should cover first.
I got this idea from the unfortunately titled Pimp That Snack site, where someone took a huge bag of gummi bears and melted them down into a couple huge bears. It was amazing.
I thought, rather than make a couple huge bears, why not make a bunch of other fun shapes? I snagged an excessively large bag of gummies from Costco (where else to go for excess?) and tossed it in the closet for a rainy day with the kids. A few weeks later, the perfect day arrived, so we rounded up the supplies.
First up, sort out the gummies by color.
It’s always seemed like there are more of those tasty red ones than the others, and this exercise confirmed it – there were about double as many red bears as any other color. Which was a good thing, since there were a lot of casualties during the sorting.
We were going to mold the gummies into shapes, so we picked out some of the larger candy molds and set them out, with some long spoons for scooping. I sprayed the molds lightly with Pam in an effort to make then non-stick. To which the gummi mix said, ha!
Now, for the actual melting. Since the gummies are made chewy by gelatin, it’s critical to melt them at a very low temperature. Doing so at a high temp could rupture the gelatin granules and turn the chewy candy into sludge. We decided to do two colors, using a mini-slow cooker an a pot set to warm.
Drizzling the mix into the molds was easier in my mind than it was in reality. This stuff is crazy sticky, so it took several spoons and at least two people to scoop each one off.
Once all the gummi mix is in the molds, just let them set for an hour or so to set back up.
The project makes quite the mess of dishes.
The Pam was no match for the sticky powers of the gummi mix, so it took some patience to slowly pull each from their molds. Only a couple of them came out as mutants.
Once they were set up and pried free, they just needed wrapping.
All in all, it was a fun, cheap and messy project to do with the kids. Took about an hour all told.
Next up, turtles. The chocolate kind.